Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thai Place-San Bernardino

Thai Place
1689 Kendall Dr.
San Bernardino (909) 887-7644
Open Mon-Sat: 11am-9pm


   So I find myself in a strip mall in San Bernardino again. The Thai Place is located a block away from Cal State San Bernardino in the El Pollo Loco lot across from CVS. Now this place is tiny, like 25 people inside maximum, tiny. I truly would not recommend eating inside, which is very disappointing because their food is pretty delicious. The "dining room" is literally in the shape of an isosceles triangle. They don't really attempt to lure you in with the decor. On the outside of the building neon lights are probably what would draw you in. One reads "open", one reads "fine Thai Chinese food" and the other reads "lunch combo". They have glass-topped tables while sugar packets and chili sauce hang out on the tables. You walk in and seat yourself and wait...and wait. You wait for the menus; you wait for the drinks, you wait for them to take to your order, luckily you don't have to wait for the food. In the larger part of the triangle there is a counter, register and to the left a door that leads to restrooms. What's very unique about this place is that they have a steam table at the counter, where they offer lunch specials. For around $7 you can get rice and two items. They change the items up everyday but they usually have a curry, a chicken dish, a veggie dish and they'll throw in some daily specials.
    So we finally look over the menu. Drinks were ordered and of course I'll be taking the Thai tea. I feel like when I'm going to be eating food hot enough that my nose might start bleeding, a creamy sweet drink will be my only release of the hot Thai death grip. They have a delicious Thai tea. The rest of the table ordered hot green tea. We decided on Kang Somm soup with fish ($8.95), Pad Kee Mau with beef ($7.95), and Green Curry with Chicken ($8.95). We ordered everything medium spicy, but to be clear on our request the waitress had us decide on a 1-5 scale, which I thought was a cool touch, our medium was a 3. Their menu has quite a few American Chinese dishes, but I don't go to Pizza Hut for a hamburger, so I am not interested in fried wontons at a Thai restaurant. They have plenty of Thai options though: Tom Ka soups, noodle dishes, curries, and chicken, seafood and beef dishes. On a Wednesday evening  this place was packed. We were lucky enough to snag an open table but after us the place filled up with sitting patrons and to go orders. There was one waitress for all of us and to be honest not the best. There was another girl that was more of the kitchen help and every once in awhile she would bring people food, but not as often as she should have. So once I again I must stress that eating there is not advisable, definitely call in an order to go. You can take it and eat outside on the tables or the area in front of the restaurants next door with a little courtyard area, or in your car for that matter because their food is tasty enough you can enjoy it on your lap.
Pad Kee Mau with beef
Green Curry with chicken
Kang Somm with fish
     Food has arrived. Sweet basil, lime, chili and some jungle funk start filling my nose. The soup had a very odd smell, one that I can not identify, at all. But I took a bite and the pungent scent disappeared. The soup had napa cabbage, carrot, chili, lime and large chunks of white fish. You can also choose to enjoy the soup with shrimp or they'll add extra veggies if you'd rather not have the seafood. The spice caught me off guard upon my first bite, I'm almost positive I blacked out for a millisecond. But soon enough the delicious lime and fresh napa calmed my taste buds. The fish was surprisingly fresh and cooked just right. The fish and veggies were obviously added to the broth when ordered. Next up the Pad Kee Mau with beef. This dish has fried/charred flat wide noodles, with lots of basil, chili, garlic, broccoli, bean sprouts, egg and beef. You have a choice of chicken, pork, beef or shrimp and for $1 more you can get the House Pad Kee Mau with all of the meats. I don't know what they do to the noodles but I'm hooked. The noodles are sweet and spicy. The noodles and the veggies have a caramelized crust, it's almost like they toss sugar in the hot pan right before serving. Ugh I just can't get enough of that stuff. Green curry with chicken was delicious. I love curry so very much - coconut milk, chili, chicken, bamboo shoots, zucchini, peas and carrots, with a perfect balance of sweet and spice. They made their curry with chicken thighs which ensures that the chicken will be tender and will soak up all of the curry goodness. You also get an order of steamed rice with the curry, which really is my favorite part, because I just throw the rice all over the curry broth and make some Thai coconut rice concoction. I found myself going back to the Pad Kee Mau though. Even as the waitress pulled the plate away I had to grab the last little noodles begging to be eaten.
    I actually feel really bad that they have such a terrible set-up. Their food is too good not to have better service and an actual area to eat in peace. When you decide to enjoy food from the Thai Place order ahead and take it to go. Eat it somewhere in private so when you start sweating and your nose starts running onto your food, you don't cause a scene and embarrass yourself. Also take a Thai tea to go or maybe two if you ordered your food extra spicy. If you must eat there I would suggest taking the table on the patio so at least you have space and a little more privacy. Thai Place is delicious and easy on the wallet, especially if you take advantage of the lunch special. Not the best service or seating but the food outshines that downfall. So bring your picnic basket, Kleenex, and a maybe a wet rag and take a trip to the San Bernardino Jungle for some dishes at the Thai Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment